Thursday, August 18, 2011

"An Easy Compost 'Bin' Idea" or "What's that pile?"

I saw a post today at Live Renewed about the "evolution" of their compost pile.  First it was simply a pile, then it became a kind of open walled bin made of reclaimed materials:



 I've considered composting for when we have our own property, but never known how to start.  The idea seems sound, right? People have been doing it for forever, and it's a well proven method of not only getting rid of stuff that should be returned into the ground anyway, but also of feeding future plants yummy stuff to make them grow strong - all while keeping your money for yourself instead of the garbage service.   

So why exactly an I still a bit unsure about it?  Because I think it will smell.  Because I don't want to see my young kidlets playing in rotting food and plant matter.  I also have this fear of putting in the wrong things and then spreading plant or people disease.

I've new to this idea; I have a lot yet to learn. Must research.  Have you done Composting?  What has your experience been?



4 comments:

  1. I have tried. I have failed. I ended up with fruit flies and yuck and smell. hear ya' girl. My mom has successfully done this. I think it takes focus in the beginning, which we moms of little kids do not have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback - I just don't think I can handle the "yuck" factor of neglected compost (which I would totally do). Maybe in the future I can consider it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've composted for several years and have been really glad that I started...there are ways to keep the flys and stink to little or none! And if you're willing to have your young ones don their grubbies and rubber boots, they can be a great help when it's time to use the shovels to turn/mix it up. :) Kristyn.

    doulamatters.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristyn: Good to know that a momma with kiddos has been successful at it! How did you keep the flies and stinkiness down?

    ReplyDelete