Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Drawing the Quality of Numbers 1-10 in First Grade

In 1st grade of Waldorf education, the quality of numbers of explored before the math of it all. Numbers are so real and fun to children -- they're not just a means to count or tally something.  That's why we draw the numbers with concrete associations.  Not only will it help to remember the number, but it also sets philosophical foundations (for example, presenting the idea of "one" as "wholeness"). Whatever thing we use as an example has other applications as a story, a movement game, a real-life object we can observe and learn from.


Here are my examples of what I presented in chalk for the numbers one through ten. With all the different ways to represent a number, I have tailored it to the kids I am presenting it to (the below are what I did for my third child).  Note: I am not a grand artist, I do not make amazing chalkboard drawings nor crayon works of art. Still, I'm posting this picture to give others some ideas & inspiration. Be encouraged! "Even I can do that!" or "I can do better that that!".  Someday my chalk art skills might improve, but in the meantime this still works, and my kids are still learning just fine. 













No comments:

Post a Comment